If you are religious, what about your religion would you change?

[ Go to bottom  |  Go to latest post  |  Subscribe to this topic  |  Latest posts first ]

Caitlyn

23, female

Level 8 - Advocate

If you are religious, what about your religion would you change?

from Caitlyn on 06/11/2015 01:18 PM

What do you dislike about your religion and how would you change it?

Brian

67, male

Level 5 - Activist

Re: If you are religious, what about your religion would you change?

from Brian on 06/13/2015 10:58 AM

This is a difficult thing for me to answer. I call myself a Christian, yet I don't belong to any particular "brand" of Christianity. and therein lies the rub for me.

The only reason there are some many differant brands of Christian churches is because at some point, someone or a group of someones got mad with the church they were members of and decided to form their own.

And the most troubling thing to me is they usually are based off one aspect of Gods word and a whole "faith" is then created from that. ie Baptist Vs Primative Baptist.

All these divisions among people of the Christian faith I don't think has ever been a good thing. Abraham Lincolin correctly stated that a house divided cannot stand. That applies to all manner of houses, including Gods house.

So I have chosen not to join any church, I read scripture, and pray when the need to do so wells in me.

So having said all of that the one thing I'd change about Christianity would be to do away with all the sub-sects of the faith and worship God as one voice.    

Caitlyn

23, female

Level 8 - Advocate

from Caitlyn on 06/13/2015 02:19 PM

Brian, that makes a lot of sense.

TasselLady

58, female

Level 3 - Debater

from TasselLady on 06/14/2015 09:27 PM

I'm a Catholic Christian.  But the only thing that bothers me about it is the Annulment process.  I feel that if two people cannot remain married that they need to split if no reconiciliation is possible.

While I understand why the Catholic Church does this (they believe that marriage is a sacrament and can't be broken unless it doesn't meet criteria of a sacramental marriage), it's unfair to many who feel they shouldn't have to be stuck tied to someone they no longer can be with.  I believe that they need to change their stance on this because it is too restrictive.  Other than that I'm happy with the Catholic faith in general.  I've always been bothered by the "no divorce" thing.   

Gregaj7

61, male

Level 7 - Critic

from Gregaj7 on 06/15/2015 01:11 AM

Since Yahweh/Elohim/Jesus is perfect, and I'm not, I wouldn't change anything. 
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2055:8-9
Isaiah 55:8-9

Joe61

74, male

Level 5 - Activist

from Joe61 on 06/18/2015 11:09 PM

I am a Catholic although I don't go to the Chapel regularly, so just prefer to call myself just a Plain Christian.  As a Catholic I oppose enforced celibacy, I think it is wrong and creates sexual frustration, which in turn can lead to abuse.

The first and most basic confusion is thinking of priestly celibacy as a dogma or doctrine.....a central and irreformable part of the faith, believed by Catholics to come from Jesus and the apostles.  Thus some Fundamentalists make a great deal of a biblical reference to Peter's mother-in-law (Mark 1:30), apparently supposing that, if Catholics only knew that Peter had been married, they would be unable to regard him as the first pope.   Again, Fundamentalist time lines of "Catholic inventions" (a popular literary form) assign "mandatory priestly celibacy" to this or that year in Church history, as if prior to this requirement the Church could not have been Catholic.

These Fundamentalists are often surprised to learn that even today celibacy is not the rule for all Catholic priests. In fact, for Eastern Rite Catholics, married priests are the norm, just as they are for Orthodox and Oriental Christians.

Reply Edited on 06/18/2015 11:18 PM.

TheWoods

9, male

Level 3 - Debater

from TheWoods on 06/26/2015 05:04 AM

Biblical Christian. So I wouldn't change a thing.

Get the U.S. out of the U.N. and the U.N. out of the U.S.

HegeMarie
Deleted user

from HegeMarie on 06/26/2015 08:20 AM

I am a Christian and believe that the Bible is the words of God.
So I don't want to change it, I want it to change me.

ajmsituation

38, male

Level 5 - Activist

from ajmsituation on 06/26/2015 01:45 PM

The way we are stereotyped because of the actions of a tiny minority.

In the minds of most people in the west all Muslims are terrorists because of a few gangs half a world away.

BatmansEpic...

-, female

Level 4 - Idealist

from BatmansEpicUnderstudy on 07/02/2015 08:57 AM

I wouldn't change anything about agnosticism ahaha

« Back to forum