Practice makes perfect or natural talents?

[ Go to bottom  |  Go to latest post  |  Subscribe to this topic  |  Latest posts first ]

Scheissegal

29, male

Level 6 - Agitator

Practice makes perfect or natural talents?

from Scheissegal on 06/06/2015 11:15 PM

Do you prefer to improve your abilities through practice at something you have never really been truly good at?

Or do you follow the gifts you were born with and let those guide you along?

I say the latter. 

Marianne

-, female

Level 18 - Kingpin

Re: Practice makes perfect or natural talents?

from Marianne on 06/07/2015 10:57 AM

I would say that practice is essential!

Natural talents help much, but they can only develop well with a regular, adequate practice - including theory. Also less talented people can improve their abilities with appropriate teaching and practise.

And motivated learners are usually the most likely to succeed.

amberleechoo
Admin

29, female

Level 17 - Ambassador

from amberleechoo on 06/07/2015 11:58 AM

I really wish I could sing but don´t have the talent for it but think my voice would be good for singing and if I have enough motivation then I could probably be better at it. And I´m pretty good at drawing which is my natural talent and this is an ability I can improve a lot if I just try to draw more.

Scheissegal

29, male

Level 6 - Agitator

from Scheissegal on 06/08/2015 05:26 AM

@Marianne- Ah yes, I know. But what I'm trying to say is, will you take what you are naturally good at from birth and improve upon that; or follow your heart/situations and take an artificial path and practice with that?

Lady

-, female

Level 7 - Critic

from Lady on 06/08/2015 10:56 PM

I think both actually.  Even natural talent takes practice.  I practice the piano every day and have been playing for more than 50 years; however, there is always new music to learn.  Music never stops.

Lady - formerly SH Eastedie

Caitlyn

23, female

Level 8 - Advocate

from Caitlyn on 06/09/2015 12:17 AM

To be elite, you need both. But you can make yourself really good with plain old hard work. :)

Tiffanee
Deleted user

from Tiffanee on 06/09/2015 12:26 AM

Practice makes you even better at whatever you are doing but if you have natural talent, then there are no limits at what you can accomplish.

« Back to forum